Wednesday 8 June 2011

Transit from San Francisco

Last night in the hostel was a full house… This meant that I shared a room with a man and his ‘pit-bull’ dog 0_0 Although a licensed animal it still takes a little getting used to in order to sleep with it just feet away!! A unique experience for me…

My final farewell to San Francisco was an early morning walk along the harbour wall to see Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge and the cityscape. A perfect morning with bright sunshine and just the hint of a cool breeze.
Departing via a shuttle bus ($14) I make my way to the airport to then pick up the FREE shuttle to my airport hotel (Hilton, Burlingame) for a little lap of luxury before heading to New York. The Hilton is situated on the edge of a lake with jogging track… walking trail ;) the view is fantastic with the cityscape of San Francisco visible in the distance across placid waters. Taking a seat on one of the many benches along the bay front I watch the planes landing and taking off from the SFO airport just 2 miles away. Wonderful, as every minute or so a plane lands or takes off with a huge range from Bombardiers to Jumbos. Occasionally two planes land at once!! (due to the double runways) while two other planes take off… A good way to pass the time and spot the airlines.
The Hilton has its own restaurant and the room lives up to its **** rating. However, the pool has no changing rooms or lockers… a little bit of an oversight in my view as guests should not really be expected to change in a restroom or traipse through the hotel in their trunks!! Anyhow - time to sit back, relax and wait for the flight tomorrow :)

The buffet breakfast challenge ;)
My final morning in San Francisco saw me preparing for the 5½hr flight to JFK New York with a buffet style breakfast ($16) at the Hilton where they have looked after me superbly well. To the great surprise of my server I managed a five course breakfast [cereal, fried full English, toast, cheese and pastries] washed down with orange juice and coffee. Thus fully fuelled and barely able to move I waddle off to collect my luggage, check and out depart for the airport on the FREE shuttle.
A recommended, reasonably priced hotel if you are looking for somewhere to stay near the airport :)

No comments:

Post a Comment