Tuesday 4 January 2011

There are a number of trekking routes around Hong Kong and one of them starts at the Peak and runs for 50km… I did not really think I had time for this so I set off to complete two smaller trails totalling 4km. The trek takes you through forested hillsides in many places strengthened by concrete covering. Along the pathways set out for tourists and locals there are a number of exercise parks to allow you to complete pull ups (I give this a go and complete 3 reps…), balance beam walks and monkey swings etc. Next up you come to a lookout spot on the opposite side of the hill - this is the location for the remains of a Hong Kong Pill Box set up to defend against possible Japanese invasion from the sea… It does have good views of the other side of the island - but today is misty! Walking further around the pathway I bump into a work crew carrying out cement works to strengthen a slope at risk of falling then continue to walk until I find a view point which is actually better than the platform!! So, my advise would be, if you want the best view of the harbour, is to walk along the ‘morning walk’ and at the 3rd km mark you will find the most impressive panoramic vista’s of the whole of the harbour - not just one section of it as from the Sky viewing platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment