Thursday 14 April 2011

The descent

While at the summit we sit down on its lip and have brunch while taking in the views and welcoming the other climbers as they arrive. We also contemplate how to get back down!! Climbing the volcano was hard enough and the gradient was so steep as to make the climb down highly hazardous (daunting) to say the least… There were two alternative routes to consider… a scree run or back the same way we came up over the lava outcrop… hmmm…
I decide to run the scree as others head for the lava plug climb. My first task was to get across the steeply sloped red lava to the scree slope - this is a frightening ‘life affirming’ clamber across an unforgiving landscape with few handholds and lots of loose material... I scrabble breathlessly across towards the scree, clinging to handholds and finding footing for my boots, but even with this level of care I slide several times on my but before finding another safe point 0_0 It takes some time (due to nervous pauses) to make it to the scree slope, which looks grey against the colourful slopes either side… Here I find deep scree made up of small granular material and ash, which instantly begins to slide under my weight! The only way to navigate the scree is to dig your heels in and walk/slide downhill… I find myself heading downhill like a surfer, arms ahead and behind for balance! Each foot I place forwards soon disappears beneath the surface (sometimes up to the knee!!!) while my trailing foot helps to steer my descent before changing feet… I continue to slide down the scree and begin to enjoy the experience to the point of being able to film a little of the descent ;) Amazing experience but be aware that at some points there is much less scree covering rock outcrops and at this point your boot suddenly comes to a stop and gravity takes over - so remember to lean back a little so that when you go down you end up on your but not on your face!! (Aim for the areas that look like little channels as this is where the scree has gathered at its deepest - avoid anything that looks like an outcrop or raised area) The scree descent is at least 800m down and by the end I am covered in dust and have picked up a large number of stones in my boots… I also suffer a small cut/graze to both palms (if you want to attempt the climb it may be best to wear gloves on the way down) Definitely come down the scree as those who attempted the lava climb down soon gave up as it was practically impossible…
I now have much more respect of Frodo ;) Mnt Doom is a HUGE challenge but is well worth the effort if you are on the crossing on a ‘good weather’ day. DO NOT try this in bad weather!! This is one of the highlights of my trip so far - Climbing an active volcano, which happens to be Mnt Doom from LOTR… AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment