Friday 6 May 2011

The Golden Gate Bridge

Crossing Crissy Field, I finally reach the last climb up to the start of the bridge - it is 4pm and I have been out in the sun for 6 hours without really stopping… It is an amazing site - the design of the structure is unique and HUGE. The two immense red supporting columns hold massive bundles of cables that in turn support the cables that suspend the bridge - each one thicker than my arm!! Fabulous site, 1.7 miles from one side to the other… So setting off I hope to find a bus on the other side ;) the wind increases the further onto the bridge you go - soon it is blowing a gale and my T-shirt offers little in the way of protective warmth!! So speeding up a little to keep warm I soon make it to the centre of the bridge and some breathtaking views of the harbour, Alcatraz, yachts and cityscape. Wow - Definitely bring your camera here. Well worth all the efforts as the city gleams in the setting sun while the yachts are under full sail, masts leaning practically horizontally as they speed across the waves - so strong is the wind that I am amazed by the site of a wind surfer racing under the bridge itself!! He is at least a mile out from the coast and cutting across the waves at an insane speed - instantly you want to give it a go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment