Tuesday 24 May 2011

Last day in Montara Lighthouse YHI

Once again another week has practically flown by… Montara is a lovely destination if you have time to relax - the staff at the YHI here make you feel like a member of the family, whilst the dorms provide excellent accommodation meeting all your mod-con needs including FREE internet access and an excellent range of hot drinks :) I have really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend anyone in the area to look them up…

After a hearty breakfast of bran flakes and banana (along with the much needed coffee) I decide on one last hike (little chance of a proper one in San Fran or New York), this time across the nearby mountain trail back to Pacifica, this time along the old road route. It is a beautiful day with clear blue skies and only a very light breeze to keep you cool - so setting off I soon realise I have forgotten he sun cream again!! (Make sure that you have it as the sun here is stronger than you might think and you will get a little pink!). However, that said, the tramp was magical as I was completely on my own and on several occasions I found myself in close company with humming birds :) They were small (wee tad smaller than a wren) and dark in colour but when they sang they displayed a small red patch around their necks - unnerved it seems by my presence they sang from fragile perches, performed some acrobatic flying, hovered while drinking nectar from the wild flowers and buzzed past my head making a humming noise... No really… a HUMMING noise - hence humming bird ;) Fabulous. Well worth the walk. A fitting end to my stay in Montara and the cherry on the cake.

Heading back to the lighthouse after 3 hours of trekking I cook a pasta meal and watch the sun set into the Pacific Ocean behind the lighthouse. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment