Thursday 4 November 2010

Kayaking the mangroves

Hiring a Kayak for the morning has got to be done - there is so much coastline to explore and so little of it is accessible on foot. I went for the guided option, which entailed going as a group consisting of myself and 4 Germans two of whom were on honeymoon.

To get to our kayaks was the first challenge as they were in a hut at the edge of the mangrove forest and this meant a walk along the coast from the main jetty - easier said than done at high tide when you were forced to walk along angled parts of sea wall and on a narrow ridge of sand with hazards including washed up glass bottles and rubbish. However, we soon arrived at the boat shack to find the canoes in working order, they were solid constructions with space to store possessions under bungee cords. So bag stowed we set off…

The Kayaking was excellent as it took us along a stretch of coast covered in mangroves, which you could get right up to and see the density of the thickets of trees and how it spread unbroken for miles backed by tropical rain forest. Although there are, I was informed, saltees (Salt water crocs) in these parts we did not see any J which is probably a good thing - However we did see lots of bird life including white cranes and the trip gave me a real work out… Felt like my stomach muscles had been doing crunchies all day!! Gave me a huge appetite on my return and so broke my vegetarian journey for the first time by having the local speciality “Sear fish”, which is steak like and tastes not unlike swordfish…

No comments:

Post a Comment