Tuesday 23 November 2010

A return to Colombo

I have three days before my flight to Singapore and so I decide to book into a colonial house in the more salubrious part of town (Colombo House 4000r/night) - this turns out to house some very old furniture like a museum and a room with AC and hot showers but little else… Still its location means that all the main sites are within walking distance.
A quick trip to the private hospital is first on the agenda (!! Always do this if you are ill in the tropics to be sure !!) - a modern and sparkly clean establishment where I was greeted on entry and given a consultation with 10mins (cost 300r/£1.80) and diagnosed with a throat infection and fever (temp 99 degrees) prescribed two sets of tablets for the fever/throat infection (560r/£3.30) and told to rest. I was out of the door again within 30mins, so I am now up to taking 5 pills in the morning, 2 pills at lunch and 4 pills at night for the next 5 days!! I must rattle when I walk now!! Still should clear the infection within 5 days…
After this I consoled myself with a 5 hour fix of coffee, cheesecake and hot chocolate at ‘Coffee Beans’ before a storm erupted and I was forced to take shelter in a tuk-tuk on my journey back to guest house - the rain torrents down after 5.30pm to such an extent that the roads become like rivers of water too deep for the tuk-tuk to negotiate but the buses have no problem in dousing us as they pass!! Got back to the guest house soaking wet and was met by a guard at the gate with an umbrella :)
Since this i have taken the opportunity for gentle strolls in the local area and made every use of Colombos cafe scene with its comfy chairs and mugs of coffee/chocolate and cake ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment