Thursday 2 December 2010

Kuala Lumpur

I stayed in ‘Bedz KL’ in the Golden triangle area of Kuala Lumpur (Check Lonely Planet for more) and it was ideally located for walking around the cities attractions - I made it around the towers and the local markets on foot in one day. Bedz KL also has AC dorms, which are comfortable and secure with wonderful hot water showers :) I recommend this for those on a budget.
My day of exploration showed KL to be a modern city with AC shopping malls, a good underground and MRT system and a range of eateries with food for £2 or less ;) Although sometimes you may not quite know what your eating… I found pointing at a picture soon provided me with a plate of tasty, if a little chewy, food. Try it at the night market nearby. Also definitely take a ride on the elevator to the top of the Menara observation tower (takes 55secs) as it gives you a wonderful view of the city including the PETRONAS Towers - if you come at dusk you can watch them light up :) and included in the price of your ticket you get to see animals in the small nearby zoo and go for an F1 experience (well a video game in a F1 shaped cockpit anyway for 6 laps - I came first even though i span of the track twice!)
Also make sure you visit the KLCC centre (shopping centre at the PETRONAS Towers as you can be awestruck by the shear mighty presence of the building as you leave from the park entrance - looking back I can barely get the towers into the viewfinder on my camera (the pictures are from the far side of the park!!) It is also a location for great coffee and cheesecake and I can truly recommend ’Coffee Bean’ ;)
Finally the traffic in KL is a little hectic... Well 4-5 lanes of traffic on the go non stop, especially if its raining! I found it impossible to cross one of the roads as the crossing never turned green for pedestrians! i can only assume it was because the traffic was so heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment