Tuesday 8 February 2011

Arriving at Nagasaki

It is quick and easy to exchange my Japanese Rail Pass voucher for the Rail Pass at the JR desk, Fukuoka Station, and I book my first ticket straight away to Nagasaki - It is that quick and easy - Wonderful. The train is a wonder in that it is immaculate with large comfortable, reclineable seats, smooth ride and toilets (with paper!!) equipped to meet your every need. The ride to Nagasaki takes just 2 hours arriving at 2pm. We travel through a landscape transforming from low rise cityscape to rural countryside predominantly used for farming dotted with housing in modern and old styles, however, all of it is in good condition and clean. As we near Nagasaki the train line travels along the coast and it is possible to see the fish farms in operation providing the plethora of seafood restaurants with their needs. Nagasaki is a modern city with clean streets and housing stretching up into the surrounding hills, but my priority is to find somewhere to stay!!! Yep arrived with nothing booked 0_0 After asking for advise I am told that the capsule hotel does not take bookings so it is a turn up and get a room kind of place… Well I walked up… And wahay - got a room J (Although it is a very small capsule it was possible to wedge my backpack into the locker provided and there are showers and toiletries. All in all a good place for the 3700Y/~£25 fee although smoking is allowed and many of the businesmen seem to love to light up in the evening. (I book the ‘Comfort hotel’ next door for the next night as there is lots to see in Nagasaki - the hotel is a little more expensive at 5500/~£37 but I do get my own single room, tv and shower/bath - there is also a buffet breakfast thrown in :).

No comments:

Post a Comment