Wednesday 16 February 2011

Relaxing in Ito

I take a limited express ‘superview’ train to Ito, this effectively means a local style train but with enormous windows which allow for a panoramic view and for the sun to directly incinerate you… I mean keep you lovely and warm on the trip ;) The scenery changes on route from urban suburbs and industrial areas to small coastal towns littered with local industry - the coastal rail route does give some very good views of the landscape as we pass but I have to check the time on my ticket and look out for platform information as the train does not end at Ito!! Still I do get off at the right stop and make my way down to K’s Ito hostel which is a 100year old Ryoken hotel and onsen. It is breathtakingly well looked after and the rooms are directly out of the set from ‘Shogun’ with the tatami mats, squeaky floor boards and paper walls as well as the Onsen bath… Marvellous, it is going to be a good resting point before launching to Oz.
I highly recommend this location if you want to completely unwind close to Tokyo (1½ hours by train) but still have access to wi-fi ;) The rooms are well thought out and have all the mod cons but in my dorm with six bed spaces I am the only guest - I feel very privileged to stay here as other Japanese visitors to the house said that in the past it was one of the best Ryoken homes in the town and had bathers coming here from miles around to enjoy the Onsen waters and company of Geisha. Well, I agree, a wonderful hostel which is better than many hotels I have stayed in and for the gift price of 2950Y/~£20 night. I abandon my inhibitions and enter the Onsen o enjoy the baths (once again you must be naked for this) and meet the Japanese guests again J Great, just to be able to relax and talk pleasantly in good company. Finally I have also enjoyed my first taste of Saki… I have to say although pleasant it does not live up to the hype and I would always select a good red wine over it… that said it does leave a glow behind.
Overall, although Ito is a small town with little to do, that is generally the idea - enjoy the time relaxing in the natural hot spa.

No comments:

Post a Comment