Tuesday 29 March 2011

The Franz Joseph Glacier

I only saw six people in the two hours it took me to reach Roberts Point and I guessed that this was due to the route being classed as long and hard… Well I can honestly say that it was worth it as the views from the point were stunning allowing you to look down on the Franz Joseph Glacier. Amazing! It sat in its valley, a huge white behemoth dominating the landscape while tearing at the rock either side and carrying with it moraines of ground up material… I was in Awe of the site and it was only with careful viewing that you could begin to make out people on the ice… They were tiny dots just moving against the surface and it demonstrated the shear size of this glacier (I have included both a normal and zoom version of the same scene to see the group of intrepid climbers) ;) While at Roberts point I met a Canadian lady and a couple from Norway… After introductions we decided to climb down together and it was another 2 hours before we had returned to the car park, exhausted and sweaty but thrilled with the journey… We had all taken little falls onto our posteriors on route down due to the slippery nature of the trail and once we got a little turned around but soon located the track again to descend. All in all and fabulous experience and FREE. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment