Saturday 5 March 2011

Port Elliot

The YHA also run excursions in the local area and one of these was a two night stay at one of their hostels on the coast at Port Elliot for $79 including transport (2hrs). So I book the trip and end up on a Stateliner coach with luxurious seats at 12pm the next day - arriving at Port Elliot you find yourself in what I can only describe as a coastal village where the bus drops you off on the main street at a sign with just a number on it!! The main street houses the one supermarket and several tourist shops and pub/cafes.
Port Elliot is very small and very quiet at the moment so walking up the street to the YHA hostel I do not meet anyone else, the gravel paths crunch beneath my boots and the warming sun shines overhead. Soon I can hear the crashing of waves along the headland and then the hostel comes into site - it is magnificent for a hostel (previously it had been the ‘Acadia Guest House’ with stunning views of the bay and HUGE rooms with high ceilings - when you arrive there is no one to greet you, so remember your entry code otherwise you will be waiting to be let in for some time! I had remembered the code so found my room quickly, dumped all my bags and headed out :)
The coastline here is stunning with the sun beaming down on a rolling ocean, the swell coming in crashes against the headlands rocks before rolling into the bay. Walking the gravelled pathways you are met with a scene of bent trees, shaped by the wind, glinting waves and a large obelisk - erected to warn ships of the headland (After all many ships have been wrecked here over the years), the obelisk is called ‘Freemans Nob’ and is visible up to 10 miles out to sea.
Port Elliot is a wonderfully relaxing site with great facilities.
As I am on a tight budget in Oz my dinner consists of that old favourite macaroni with an onion & sauce $4 for two meals ;) The climate here is much cooler than Perth and so I spend the evening inside the hostel catching up with my blog and watching Family Guy, American Dad and finally Starship Troopers on the 42” Plasma screen TV - like being at the movies. I can highly recommend the hostel as a place to relax and take in the coastal scenery while being looked after by a knowledgeable and warmly welcoming staff - A wonderful stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment