Wednesday 23 March 2011

Wanaka and another beautiful lake

After booking two nights in Wanaka I organise a bus ticket for 8am arriving in Wanaka by 10am, this proves very easy to complete and buses regularly ply the route with a number of companies. Wanaka sites beside lake Wanaka which is a glistening stretch of water reflecting the surroundings mountains on a sunny day. Reaching the town I am dropped off directly at the door of the YHI centre ;) which allows me to get bags dropped off and get out into the countryside for a hike…
I find a local walk less than 2km down the road to the peak of ‘Mt Iron’ - this proves to be a lovely quiet walk on well maintained gravel tracks over both private and public land. As you ascend you begin to get views across the town and lake, enough to make you envious of the people living here ;) It is a 45min hike to the top but I complete it in under 30mins and stop sweating at the summit to take in the panorama… It is wonderful as I am able on this sunny day to see right across to the surroundings mountains and with an unobstructed 360 degree view of the countryside :) Looking down the vantage point allows you to get a birds eye view of the ‘Puzzle world’ which is a complex maze full of puzzles and a cafĂ© - the outside of the building is designed to be puzzling to the visitor and the clock on the tower at the front goes backwards!! A good excuse for not getting somewhere on time ;) However, today I am unable to take advantage of the maze as on route downhill my toothache starts again and grows to be a painful ache, which stops me from drinking my coffee!! And that’s were I draw the line… 2 paracetamol and a 2km walk later and I am on my way to the local dentist to arrange an appointment…

Toothache update - after two nights of growing pain in my lower right jaw I relented to take paracetamol, which reduced it enough to sleep on the first night but did little on the second night… grumble… Doesn’t settle in Wanaka - in fact peaks on way down from Mt Iron, so sort out an appointment in Wanaka - leads to an efternoon session and diagnosis. medication is prescribed (more antibiotics) but could mean root canal work when I return to UK… Doh… Could be worse almost starte it today!!
Advise - make sure that you book in and see a dentist if your teeth play up while your travelling!! Do not hope that it will go away as it might just be an infection... more news to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment